Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Peanut Butter Play-Dough


Try this recipe:
Peanut Butter Play-dough
1 cup peanut butter (creamy is best)
1 cup corn syrup
1 1/4 cup dry milk
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar

Knead together until smooth and play! Refrigerate between uses.

I love this because it is a great thing to play with, as well as totally edible and quite tasty. You can combine snack time with play time, and you can eat it up before it gets all dry and gross like store-bought play-dough. I grew up with this treat and craved it all through my pregnancies.

Today we used Peanut Butter Play-dough to talk about shapes. You can draw shapes on parchment or wax paper and then turn it over so that the kids can line up their play-dough over the shapes. It's a fun and new way to learn lots of things, too. When I was sixteen, I taught Piano lessons and drew a staff on wax paper, then put pieces of play-dough on the lines or spaces and had the kid name the note. (You can also do that with candies or pennies too.)

2 comments:

  1. My kids LOVE peanut butter playdough. I love your tip about helping teach notes in music! I'm getting ready to start teaching my kids piano.

    By the way, I think I'm ready to start contributing to this blog. It's been a crazy three months. If you're still interested please send me another invite at FrozenWonderland(at)yahoo(dot)com. I didn't realize before that my invite had to be activated and it expired. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like the tip about making shapes on wax paper or parchment for them to copy.

    ReplyDelete